Welcome to Watching America!
After two years, Watching America is still the only place where Americans can see themselves, and the world, through the eyes of others. We are determined to keep our service free, and not to beg. But we need your help to multiply our daily hits by a factor of ten to survive and cover our costs.
You can help us without spending a cent. “Us” is a team of around 30 volunteers who work over 200 man-hours a week to fill the gaping niche left by the mainstream media.
Here are some ways to help us increase our traffic (and thereby attract unobtrusive advertising and turn down the page refresh).
1. Visit us every day — even if you don’t have time to go through that day’s articles. If everyone who visited us in a month came daily, the survival of WA would be ensured.
2. Set your homepage to Watching America. The one hit we get when you open your browser really helps us.
3. People need to hear about a product between 7 to 14 times before they seriously check it out. Mail your friends links to various articles on Watching America. Most of our translated content is available nowhere else, so it is always easy to find something that is intriguing.
4. If you are a professor of political science, international affairs, journalism or languages, etc., use our work to help you with yours: get your students to read the site.
5. If you work for any institution where people would enjoy hearing about Watching America, and what the world has to say about various events, we are glad to speak to your group, whether a university, a high school, a public institution, a bookstore, a private club, or the media. We guarantee you’ll enjoy our unique perspectives and any invitation helps us to spread the word and thus helps grow Watching America.
6. If you have a website, link to us regularly, and put us in your permanent blogroll. Regular linking helps reinforce our name among the public by repetition.
These things cost you, the reader, nothing, and take no time… But if all our current visitors did one of them, we would multiply our traffic by ten, which would make all the difference in the world to us.
Of course, we won’t say no to your financial contribution. If every visitor gave us just one dollar per year, Watching America’s long-term survival would be ensured. That is a lot of value for not a lot of money. If you have that to spare, hit the yellow “Help WA with a Donation” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.
Thank you! Come back frequently, not only to support WA, but also because we update so often that you’ll miss out if you don’t.